Friday, November 20, 2015

Finding Heaven

When we kiss I feel a glowing coal
off the altar borne with seraph tongs.
Holding hands with you, my fluttering soul
catches snatches of supernal songs.

Swimming next to mortal friend, I’m braced
by the shocking breath of utmost North.
Silly games below are tagged and chased
by departed pets both back and forth.

Favorite films and readings we rehearse
leave lofty allusions in our mind.
Shopping sprees that empty out your purse
covet treasures of a higher kind.

Mixed with homely smells past kitchen doors
comes a hint of frankincense to me;
and each glass the bottle fills--of course!--
shimmers with a spirit none can see.

Dressed in finery or barely clad,
you appear angelic to my eyes.
Thoughts you share, though happy, proud or sad,
echo from a canyon deep...and wise.

Good pervades this region pilgrims tread,
settling, moving, striving to employ
gifts our Giver gave when “Free!” He said:
“Find my heav’n in every earthly joy.”


by Mark Aikins
November 20, 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment