Sunday, January 24, 2016

Precious


What has captured my heart,
carried afar my desires,
carved a cavern deep inside
where every stray thought can hide?

Have I been honest with me--
vested my hopes, tested my habits,
posted hazard signs along
my way to an imminent heaven?

How will Life reward me,
my realizations refusing to rust
and wear out ere Life recedes…
leaving tidal ripples in the sand?

Is it an isolated island I’m treading,
tip-of-an-iceberg paradise
off of which an ignorant step
might immerse me in rich immensity?

Shall I treasure a status quo
with nary a shilling to save a soul,
while sacrificial lambs succumb
on the stony cliffs of the siren?

Tell me, teach me to tally
the cost of the time-denying self
that teeters on the terrifying brink
without the Treasure that is Christ.



MNA

1.24.16




No comments:

Post a Comment