Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Death Wish

A deep desire for death I would embrace--
A separation, keen to mortify
Pathetic forays to obscure the face
Whose very speech created time and space--
Brought into being beings such as I.

I'd glory in magnificence above,
And cast aside the lures and baits below
That so adulterate eternal love,
That tempt to block each Spirit-bidden move
And drown His voice with flesh's dark echo.

My lusts cry out like mewling cats for meat;
They'd feed my ego fat with fawning fare,
While holiness languishes in the heat
Of prideful passions poised to rob and cheat
My Master of the fruits He'd have me bear.

How may self-glory, then, be crucified--
Entombed forever, never to arise?
Can mere devotion suffocate such pride,
All fleshly archers vainly having tried
To cleanse the flocks of folly from my skies?

Alas, no pow'r of mine can drive the stake
Into the vampire-heart that haunts my will;
It stalks me with a thirst no blood can slake,
Save His who left remission in His wake...
One Crucified, raised up, and living still!

Beholding Christ, who stooped to serve the least,
Who hid His godhead gladly in the dust,
Whose ardor for His Father never ceased,
Who welcomes thieves and paupers to His feast...
I'll glory that in Him my soul can trust.


MNA 12-22-14

No comments:

Post a Comment