Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Speak the Word















Do I need some shocking sign--
Carmel-fire from cloven skies
To consume my sacrifice?

Should I beg a moistened fleece
On the ground otherwise dry
Ere I broach the battlefield?

Must the Master still a storm
O’er the sea He trod upon
For my fear to be becalmed?

Is my “little faith” so dim,
It must watch a dead man wake
To at last be reassured?

Must the rocks gush out a stream,
Barren wombs produce a throng,
Lest my heart be petrified?

Once my Lord stepped back, amazed
At a bold centurion’s faith:
“Speak the word...I need not see.”

Speak--you have your servant’s ear;
Breathe your word, on sacred page.
Tell me what you’d have me do...

I’ll believe in what you say--
Words that filled the fruitless void,
Told the dark, “Let there be light!”


MNA 12-31-14

No comments:

Post a Comment