Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Descent of Hero

Curious George with his paper boat...
Mike Mulligan with his steam shovel...
Pooh-Bear’s pot of honey; Charlotte’s wondrous web...
Johnny Tremaine and the redcoats...
Huck, Tom & Becky versus Injun Joe...
Space Angels and Mushroom Planets...
Shari Lewis and Captain Kangaroo...
Charlie McCarthy and Jerry Mahoney...
Ventriloquism and Whoopie Cushion ads...
Protectors faster than speeding bullets...
Super-saviors with x-ray eyes...
Galactic guardians and green energy rings...
Mutated humans with insect intuitions...
White-hatted horsemen with silver bullets...
Indian companions craving for justice...
Bowie and Crockett dying in a Texas mission...
Hitler-hammering GI’s raising flags of freedom...
Rocket-riders braving a void beyond all breath...
Mercury men and Gemini jockeys paving the path aloft...
Apollo demigods exchanging Earth for Sister Moon...
“One small step”... “One giant leap”...
Wars hot and cold, dis-United Nations...
Fear of falling disintegration, terror far away...
Agent protectors who shun the light, “shaken, not stirred”...
“Dr. No” and “Thunderball” and love without looking back...
Leaders gunned down and caught in foolish falsehoods...
Armies heading home with little hope of heraldry...
Future fantasies brighten as present dreams are dimmed...
Starships warp and saucers are spotted on the dark horizon...
UFO’s abduct our fancies, horoscopes plot our day...
Substance submerges, symbolism reigns...
Symbols lose their meaning and are set aside...
Finally, the only one left is the letter “I”...
I and the life I live...
I and the world as I find it...
I and the feeling I feel...
I and the ones I can tolerate...
I and the story I’m in, where...
I am my own hero.


MNA 8/2/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment